Now accepting Telehealth appointments. Schedule a virtual visit.

Doctor Dilemma: Where to go for Allergy Treatment

If you are in the Salt Lake City Utah area and you can schedule an allergy doctor appointment or contact us with any of your allergy related questions. Choosing the right doctor to see for your allergy condition could save you time and money in the long run. Many different types of doctors have some training in allergies, and most can prescribe medications. Often, however, a general practice doctor such as a primary care physician, internists, or a family practice doctor will refer you to see an allergist. An allergist has undergone 2-3 years of extra training in the diagnosis and treatment of allergic and immunologic diseases. An allergist has been certified by the American Board of Allergy and Immunology (ABAI). An allergist may also be known as an allergist-immunologist or an allergy doctor. Our organization has two licensed and certified Salt Lake City allergy doctors: Dr. Sarin and Dr. Smith. Whenever possible, an allergist should be your first pick for asthma and allergy conditions. Allergists can perform allergy tests, which are critical tools in helping you understand and manage your allergy conditions. Allergists can also perform immunotherapy, series of shots that build up your resistance to certain allergies and lessen or stop your allergy symptoms. Allergists will help you understand and manage your allergy conditions better than any other doctor, just as a cardiologist is the #1 pick for people with heart conditions. Just like any specialist, an allergist is the expert in the field of allergies. You can be assured that an allergist will be up to date on the latest findings in the field of allergies, asthma, and other allergy-related conditions. 

Who Can Treat My Allergies?

  1. Allergists (most highly trained doctor for allergies)
  2. Pediatricians (specialize in children, though not in children’s allergies)
  3. General practitioners
  4. Family Practice Doctors
  5. Internists
  6. Physician assistant (PA)
  7. Pulmonologists

When Should I See my Allergist?

If you can buy allergy medicine over-the-counter, when should you go into your allergy doctor? Check with your doctor. If you have only very mild symptoms, your allergists may recommend that you come in at least once a year for a general check up. Others benefit from more frequent care. If you find that over-the-counter medications are not completely effective, an allergist is your best bet in helping you regain your health. Your allergist can help you manage allergy and/or asthma conditions so that it does not interfere with your sleep, keep you home from work or school, or prevent you from participating in activities you enjoy. An allergist can also help you pinpoint when your worst symptoms are likely to hit, depending on your particular condition. If, for example, you’re allergy test shows a moderate allergy to ragweed, your allergist can advise you that you’ll need to take allergy medicine from August-October. Some experts have noted that with the recent trend of many allergy medications switching from prescription to over-the-counter, too many individuals may be self-diagnosing or only treating part of the problem. Remember that allergies and asthma can be potentially life threatening, and you need a doctor on your side. An allergist will make sure that nothing has been overlooked or misdiagnosed. For example, if you suspect you have hay fever but you haven’t been to an allergist, you may not notice mild asthma symptoms that accompanies hay fever symptoms until a severe asthma attack suddenly hits, and you have no way to treat it. An allergist will make your health and the management of your allergy an/or asthma symptoms their #1 goal. If you are looking for a allergy doctor in Salt Lake City Utah don’t hesitate to contact us to come in for a free consultation. Disclaimer: The allergy information on this website is strictly general information and should not be taken as official advice. Please schedule an appointment with an allergy doctor in order to get a proper and full allergy diagnosis. This article was developed by Utah Allergy Associates of Utah and Adaptivity Pro Web Design

Phone: (801) 263-8700

Phone: (801) 282-8700